|The Stitchcraft store (the location of our meeting)|
For those who didn't have a chance to attend, here is a quick recap:
- We welcomed everyone and explained the history of the Modern Quilt Guild.
- We briefly discussed what constitutes "modern quilting" and whether a single definition of the modern quilting movement actually exists.
- We discussed the goals of South Florida Mod: the education of quilters in modern quilting techniques, the creation of community through swaps, group challenges, members teaching members, sewing days, charity activities and possible group quilt shows.
- We discussed what we needed to do to reach our goals for South Florida Mod: the expansion of the website for outreach and member involvement, advertising the guild to other quilters, delegating the organization of guild activities to interested members, keeping dues to a minimum and keeping the guild as informal as possible.
- We discussed quilt news in the area.
- We had a brief break while we explored the shop, ate some snacks and chatted. :)
- We held a door prize raffle, where some lucky members won bundles of fat quarters!
- We had a great show and tell session, where members displayed their beautiful quilts and works in progress!
- We decided on next month's swap block pattern.
- We wrapped up the meeting by holding a Yankee swap (also called a White Elephant exchange) of fat quarters!
"Things to bring" for the December meeting:
1. FOLDING CHAIRS! We are trying to keep the meetings at Stitchcraft, but we need more chairs! The meetings will now be "BYOC" (Bring Your Own Chair) to make sure we have enough seats for members.
2. A "festive" holiday-themed nine-patch block, in any size (minimum 6.5 inch square, unfinished), for a block swap. It it certainly does not have to be Christmas or Chanukah-themed! Think outside the box: New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, Winter, Arbor Day, etc. HERE is a simple tutorial on making a basic nine-patch block, and HERE are more complex nine-patch patterns.
Things to Do:
1. If you have not signed the list at the meeting, please email us at southfloridamod [at] gmail [dot] com with your information.
2. If you are interested in posting to the blog, please email us for an invitation!
2. If you are interested in getting involved with certain areas of the guild (such as finding local charities in need of quilts, teaching members with ten-minute tutorials, organizing a sewing day, organizing a quilting bee with other members, etc.), please email us! No experience necessary. :)
It was so much fun meeting everyone, and I can't wait to see everyone on Saturday, December 17th for the next meeting!