1. We discussed pincushions and displayed some beautiful examples of pincushion styles. Lots of fun options and information! We also discussed pincushion fillings:
--Crushed walnut shells
--Steel wool (they sharpen needles and pins, but there was concern about rust in the Florida humidity)
--Rice (inexpensive, but there was also concern about the Florida humidity)
2. Amy came up with the idea for a potholder swap for June's meeting!
--Charlotte has some great examples on her Pinterest board: https://pinterest.com/
--You can also see some great examples on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/potholderpass/
3. We admired the Round Robin quilt addition, and Carolyn took the block for the next go-round! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
4. We talked about upcoming quilt events:
--Project Linus is having their annual "Make a Blanket Day" on Sunday, June 24th at Temple Torah in Boynton. It is on the corner of Jog and Gateway. Come to the next meeting to find out more information about this wonderful event, or email me for more info!
--The Coral Springs Quilters is having a special event in June! On June 27th at 7:15pm, Debby Jones is having a lecture about her beautiful landscape quilts, and how fabric scraps can become fine art. On June 28th from 10am to 4pm, Debby is hosting a workshop to help you create your own fabric masterpiece! You can see more about Debby's work here: http://www.debbiejones.com/. The lecture is $5, and the workshop is $45. Email me for more information!
--The first ever Quiltcon is coming up in February, which will bring together all of the Modern Quilt Guilds around the county. They have some great block challenges and quilt contests coming up! Check out: http://www.quiltcon.com/get-involved/quiltcon-block-challenge/ for more information!
5. We discussed topics for upcoming meetings:
--Labels for quilts
--Totes and bags
--Tips and Tricks
6. We had the idea to start saving selvages for a challenge!
7. We admired the Bee blocks from previous months and upcoming months. Lots of beautiful flowers!
8. We admired the completed Project Linus quilts, had show and tell, and adjourned the meeting! Here are some great photos of the May meeting:
See you at our next meeting THIS SATURDAY, June 16th!