Happy early St. Patrick's Day. Passover and Easter! Here is a little recap of the February meeting and some information for the upcoming months.
1. The blocks for the charity quilt (made with the QuiltCon colors) are currently being pieced and will go to Project Linus for donation after completion.
2. We are continuing with the two Round Robin quilts, and they look great! They will be wonderful finished quilts that will go to Project Linus for children in need. If you are interested in adding a row or side to the quilts, just speak up at the next meeting.
3. The Virtual Quilting Bee started up again, and Shelly's wonky stars turned out beautifully! Wonky stars are classic modern quilt blocks; if you've never tried making one, try out THIS tutorial.
4. We discussed the ongoing Madrona Road challenge ( with fabric kindly donated thanks to the Modern Quilt Guild). Members will make mini quilts using the fabric, up to 96 inches large around the entire perimeter (18 inches square, for example). You can add any other fabrics in the collection or solids to the project. They will be shown for show and tell at the April meeting.
If you want to see some amazing Madrona Road quilt projects from other Modern Quilt Guilds (note: they are not all mini quilts), check out the Flickr page HERE!
5. Charlotte discussed her role in the National Quilt Alliance and their upcoming Little Quilt Auction, which benefits the NQA Grant program. The Grant Program does so much to support the future of quilt-making!
See http://nqaquilts.org/grants/ for details, and auction info can be found here:
Anyone who is interested in donating mini quilts (does NOT have to only be the Madrona Road mini quilts) can give them to Charlotte at or before the May 18th meeting. Help support this wonderful cause!
6. We had a wonderful Babylock educator discuss free motion quilting and the incredible new Babylock Tiara. I hope everyone had a chance to check out this machine. If anyone bought one, please let us know how you like it (and whether we can all come over for some quilting playtime)!
7. Quilt News and Events:
--eQuilter is requesting quilts for Hurricane Sandy victims. Click HERE for more information about how to donate quilts.
--The Broward Quilt Expo will be held from March 14th to 16th, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Click HERE for more information!
8. We discussed the ongoing Pinterest board for the South Florida Modern Quilt Guild, which you can find here: http://pinterest.com/patchworkduck/south-florida-modern-quilt-guild-projects-and-insp/
9. We swapped mug rugs as our monthly member swap item. They were all beautiful!
|The mug rugs from the swap!|
For our "Things to Bring" for the March meeting, please bring in one or more fat quarters of fabric (18 x 22 inches). It can be in any color or pattern that you like, as long as it's a "modern" style (in other words, no calico, Civil War prints, etc). You can swap as many fat quarters as you bring, so don't be shy about bringing lots!
10. As a reminder, the March meeting will be a SHORT meeting, from 10am to 11am only. After, anyone who is interested is welcome to travel to the Broward Quilt Expo for an informal field trip. Please feel free to bring spouses, significant others, friends and family!
11. Show-and-tell: As a final wrap-up, here are some great February show and tell photos!
See you on Saturday, March 16th from 10am to 11am!