1. We welcomed everyone and had an icebreaker game. It was fun to hear everyone's "desert island quilting" answers!
2. We discussed our upcoming meetings and events:
3. March Meeting and Field Trip:
- On Saturday, March 17th, we will be having a regular meeting from 10am t0 11:30am. We will be discussing fabric organization. Come ready to discuss how you organize (or don't organize) your fabric stash!
- After the meeting, we will have a casual field trip to the Quilters By the Sea Quilt Show in Fort Lauderdale!
- We will be caravanning down to Fort Lauderdale together (in our own cars) to see the show. You can return home anytime.
- No fee for the field trip, aside from the cost of show admission.
- We encourage everyone to come to the meeting, whether or not they are attending the field trip afterwards!
- If folks from Fort Lauderdale are meeting up with us directly at the show, we will probably arrive at the show around 12:15pm.
- On Saturday, April 20th, we will be holding our first sewing day instead of our regular monthly meeting! It will be held from 10am to 2pm (4 hours of glorious sewing)!
- The sewing day will be held at the new Boca Raton Library on Spanish River Boulevard (not Stitchcraft that month), which is a beautiful space.
- We will be sewing mainly to support Project Linus, an amazing group that gives small quilts to children who are sick or in need.
- The fee is $150, unless at least 2/3 of the individuals live in the City of Boca Raton. We may or may not be able to meet that criteria, so there may be a small $10-$15 cover charge (to be determined).
- Bring your own sewing machine, iron (And ironing board), extension cord, fabric, batting and sewing supplies.
- Be on the lookout for child-friendly fabrics! Pull from your stash, stock up online and shop at Stitchcraft. Fabric.com and Fabric Shack online tend to run good sales.
- Please invite knitters, other sewers and folks who want to participate in a great cause.
6. May and Summer Meetings:
- We will be holding our regular May meeting on Saturday, May 19th from 10am to 12pm at Stitchcraft.
- Charlotte is guest-hosting the May meeting!
- We discussed the possibility of summer meetings, and there is an interest in holding regular meetings. They may be a little smaller (depending on how many snowbirds we have), so we can be creative with the meetings. A mini sewing day, perhaps?
8. We had a great Accuquilt tutorial from Johanna. She also discussed Stitchcraft's 10 Buck BOM program. Signups close this Wednesday (February 29th), so call Stitchcraft if you're interested in participating!
9. We discussed Round Robin quilts and Quilting Bees.
10. We talked about quilt news in the area and handed out fliers for upcoming events.
- Bring in any of your small unfinished quilt projects for a Round Robin! The piece will be given to another interested quilter, who will add on to the project. It can make a few "rounds," and you'll end up with a beautiful collaborative quilt to keep!
- We have completed our first month of the Quilting Bee. If you are interested in participating and being a "Queen Bee" for November or December, please email me! It's not too late to join!
- A quilt guild in Orlando is organizing a bus trip to Quilt Market in Houston this October. If you're interested, the information is HERE.
- One Yard Wonders is calling for submissions for their upcoming book! Submit your original project for kids/babies/parents that uses one single yard of fabric! Information is available HERE.
10. We decided on March's "Thing To Bring" (to be posted in an upcoming post).
11. We swapped scrap bags.
12. We did a Show and Tell of our latest projects.
13. We had a doorprize raffle.
Here are some photos of the meeting:
|Completed strippy quilt for Project Linus!|
|Demonstrating the Accuquilt system.|
|Blocks collected so far for the February Quilting Bee!|
|Ideas for scrap quilting.|
|Strips for the Project Linus quilt.|
|Pillowcases made for the Conkerr Cancer pillowcase project.|