1. We made introductions, recapped the last meeting and had an icebreaker.
|Love the Florida souvenir-style fabric!|
2. We discussed the potholder swap. Everyone made beautiful potholders in various styles and sizes (unfortunately, I forgot to take photos)!
|One of hte potholders in the swap!|
3. Topic of the Day: Incorporating quilting items into the home. Some great ideas:
--Mug rugs, mini wall quilts and seasonal quilts, table runners, shower curtains, drapes, potholders, dish towels, scrap catchers, coiled bowls (classes available at Stitchcraft!), kindle and iPad covers, makeup pouches, water bottle straps, keychains, coffee cup cozy, coasters.
|Quilted iPad Covers|
4. Quilt News:
--The Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts in Melbourne is hosting a Florida-themed quilt exhibition through August. Click HERE for more information.
--The Boca Raton Museum of Art will be hosting a show called "Politics Not As Usual: Quilts with Something to Say" starting in September! Click HERE for more information.
5. Quilt Events:
--Quiltcon, the Modern Quilt Guild convention, will be hosting a quilt show in February. We discussed making a Florida-themed group quilt for entry. We will monitor the entry dates and requirements.
--The Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild is hosting an EZ-Dresden challenge, with great prizes! Photo submissions are due in early September. Click HERE for more information.
--StitchCraft is hosting its summer challenge! Pick up half a yard of their free, fun fabric, and make something with it. Entries are due in early September.
6. We looked at the beautiful Bee blocks for June, and we exchanged the Round Robin quilt.
|The latest Round Robin piece! Love the gnome in the corner.|
|June Bee blocks.|
7. We discussed summer meetings and hands-on ideas. For the July meeting, we will have a hands-on demonstration of a self-binding quilt technique and a quick how-to on paper piecing.
8. Swaps: We are having a zipper swap for the July meeting! Make anything (pouch, bag, etc.) containing a zipper for our swap.
--Future swap ideas: scissors cover, needlebooks, cup cozy, set of coasters.
9. Apron Challenge: Make or bring in a homemade apron for show and tell! This can be a summer-long challenge.
10. We discussed making a South Florida Mod Pinterest Board, for sharing ideas and inspirations! We started one at: http://pinterest.com/patchworkduck/south-florida-modern-quilt-guild-projects-and-insp/ . I'll send around an email soon, explaining how to become a contributor to this board.
11. We had beautiful show and tell!
We look forward to seeing everyone for our next meeting on Saturday, July 21st at 10am!