1. The new members introduced themselves and talked about how they got into quilting.
2. We discussed the zipper swap and using zippers on sewing projects. Everyone made great items!
|Some of the zippered items.|
|Great quilting on the zippered pouch!|
Here is a video tutorial on self-binding blankets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro
Here is a video tutorial on paper piecing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW26igygE
|Explaining the self-binding quilt|
|Sample of the paper pieced block used in the demonstration.|
--The Boca Raton Museum of Art will be hosting a show called "Politics Not as Usual: Quilts with Something to Say," starting in September!
--The Gold Coast Guild is hosting a contemporary quilt show at the Highland Beach library from August 1st to October 26th!
--Quiltcon (the Modern Quilt Guild's first convention) will be hosting a quilt show in February. We discussed making a Florida-themed group quilt for entry.
--StitchCraft is hosting its summer sewing challenge! Stop into the store for a free piece of fabric, turn it into something wonderful (quilts, bags, etc.), and win prizes!
5. We discussed the Round Robin quilt (didn't get a photo) and the Bee Blocks for June and July. Love the granny squares!
6. We discussed the new Pinterest board for the South Florida Modern Quilt Guild, which you can find here: http://pinterest.com/patchworkduck/south-florida-modern-quilt-guild-projects-and-insp/
7. We discussed the "Things to Bring for August":
a) A completed paper pieced chicken block, which we will turn into quilts for Project Linus! You can find the pattern for printing here: http://www.yvonnes.dk/chickenpattern.htm
b) A "favorite thing" for quilting (notion, fabric, pattern, etc.), to discuss at the meeting!
c) An apron for show-and-tell!
8. We had our zipper swap and a beautiful show and tell!
We look forward to seeing everyone at the August meeting, on Saturday, August 18th from 10am to 12pm!
And SAVE THE DATE for an exciting guided tour of the Boca Raton Museum of Art's quilt exhibit! We will have an abbreviated meeting on Saturday, September 22nd (11am to 12pm), with the tour directly afterwards at 12:15pm! More information to follow.