1. We discussed the chicken block swap and enjoyed looking at all the different chicken variations. We will turn them into a quilt to donate to Project Linus.
2. We discussed our quilting "favorite things." We had everything from a great Ikea design board, to a little stiletto, to fabric. It was great sharing our finds and favorites with each other!
|Ikea design board.|
3. We had a huge giveaway, thanks to the Warm and Natural Company's free gift box for our guild! We discussed their wonderful batting products and gave away lots of exciting items. We also had a giveaway of holiday-related fabric donated from Project Linus and lots of magazines donated from members. It was a giveaway bonanza!
|Freebie box from the Warm and Natural Company!|
There is still plenty of time to make a block (due at the October meeting), and the results should be great! Click HERE for instructions.
|Fabric for the Group Quilt.|
--The Boca Raton Museum of Art will be hosting a show called "Politics Not as Usual: Quilts with Something to Say," starting in September! See below for our tour info.
--The Gold Coast Guild is hosting a contemporary quilt show at the Highland Beach library from August 1st to October 26th!
--Quiltcon (the Modern Quilt Guild's first convention) will be hosting a quilt show in February.
--StitchCraft is hosting its Summer Sewing Challenge! The completed entries will be on display at the store for the next few weeks. Vote for your favorite and enjoy the creativity of our local quilters!
--Quilters are donating quilts to aid and comfort forest fire victims in the Western US. General guidelines are: adults 72x80 inches, children 60x70 inches, and babies 45 inches square. The quilts are being mailed out by the end of October. If you're interested, email me for more information.
7. We discussed the Round Robin quilt and the Bee Blocks for August. Love the colors!
|Round Robin Quilt - Top completed!|
|August Bee blocks!|
8. We discussed the new Pinterest board for the South Florida Modern Quilt Guild, which you can find here: http://pinterest.com/patchworkduck/south-florida-modern-quilt-guild-projects-and-insp/
9. In lieu of "Things to Bring" for September, we are just making our QuiltCon group quilt blocks. Feel free to also bring in show and tell!
Directly afterward, we will meet at the Boca Raton Museum of Art (about 1 mile away) for a tour of the new quilt exhibit at 12:15pm! Non-members and quilt-friendly family/friends are welcome to join us for the tour!
If we have 15 people or more, we have discounted admission ($4) and a docent-led tour. If we have under 15 people, we have regular admission and a fun self-guided tour. Come one, come all!
October Meeting: Save the date for Saturday, October 20th! We will have a very talented long-arm quilter guest speak about the ins-and-outs of longarm quilting.
Show-and-tell: As a final wrap-up, here are some great August show and tell photos!