Happy Spring! Here is a review of the March meeting and some information for the upcoming months.
1. The blocks for the charity quilt (made with the QuiltCon colors) are in the process of being finished up and will go to Project Linus for donation after completion.
2. We are continuing with the two Round Robin quilts, and they look great! They will be wonderful finished quilts that will go to Project Linus for children in need. If you are interested in adding a row or side to the quilts, just speak up at the next meeting.
3. The Virtual Quilting Bee is in full swing, and Carolyn requested a converging corners block (similar to a log cabin block). The finished blocks look beautiful! If you are interested in trying out the pattern for yourself, the tutorial is available HERE.
4. We discussed the ongoing Madrona Road challenge ( with fabric kindly donated thanks to the Modern Quilt Guild). Members will make mini quilts using the fabric, up to 96 inches large around the entire perimeter (18 inches square, for example). You can add any other fabrics in the collection or solids to the project. Please bring in your completed projects for the April meeting!
If you want to see some amazing Madrona Road quilt projects from other Modern Quilt Guilds (note: they are not all mini quilts), check out the Flickr page HERE!
5. Charlotte discussed her role in the National Quilt Alliance and their upcoming Little Quilt Auction, which benefits the NQA Grant program. The Grant Program does so much to support the future of quilt-making!
See http://nqaquilts.org/grants/ for details, and auction info can be found here:
Anyone who is interested in donating mini quilts (does NOT have to only be the Madrona Road mini quilts) can give them to Charlotte at or before the May meeting. Help support this wonderful cause!
6. We had a short meeting because of the Broward Quilt Expo. A number of members took an informal field trip to admire the beautiful quilts on display at the event!
7. Quilt News and Events:
--eQuilter is requesting quilts for Hurricane Sandy victims. Click HERE for more information about how to donate quilts.
--Nicole is speaking at the Coral Springs Quilt Guild on May 24th for a presentation on Modern Quilting!
--The American Quilter's Society is hosting a Modern Quilt Challenge, with $6,000 in prizes! Quilt entries are due in August. Click HERE for more information about how to enter quilts into the competition.
8. We discussed the ongoing Pinterest board for the South Florida Modern Quilt Guild, which you can find here: http://pinterest.com/patchworkduck/south-florida-modern-quilt-guild-projects-and-insp/
9. We swapped modern fat quarters as our monthly member swap item. It was a fun grab bag of swapping!
For our "Things to Bring" for the April meeting, members are swapping wrist pincushions and/or scissors fobs. Check out the numerous free tutorials that are available HERE for ideas and patterns!
10. Charity Quilting Day in May:
Great news! Jessica has kindly offered her school's classroom sewing space for our second annual charity quilting day! She has sewing machines and irons for us to use. Please bring unfinished quilt tops or fabric, batting, rulers and other items to make child-sized baby quilts for donation to Project Linus.
PLEASE NOTE THE DATE CHANGE: the date of the event will be on Saturday, May 11th (NOT May 18th), from 10am to 2pm.
The location is Taravella High School in Coral Springs, Room 316. You can find a map and directions HERE.
11. Show-and-tell: As a final wrap-up, here are some great March show and tell photos!
Our next meeting is Saturday, April 20th, from 10am to 12pm at StitchCraft in Boca Raton. See you soon!