We had a great October meeting with lots of exciting challenges and information for the upcoming months. This post consolidates all of the information that was flying fast and furious during the meeting!
1. Facebook Page: we now have an official Facebook page! You can find our page HERE, or just type in "South Florida Modern Quilt Guild" in the search bar at the top.
--Click "Like" to add yourself to the page, and afterwards click "Get Notifications" to ensure that you receive any info.
--Please use the page and post stuff! Share patterns, articles, ideas, photos, etc. Keep it clean and keep it fun!
2. Pennsylvania Dutch Friendship blocks: Beth donated beautiful antique quilt blocks for our use to "make modern." For those who took the vintage blocks, here are the guidelines:
(a) Please make a 15.5 inch unfinished block.
(b) Don't be afraid to "slice and dice" the original block
(c) Make the block in any colorway or pattern that you like!
(d) Please bring them by the January meeting.
3. Riley Blake challenge: The Modern Quilt Guild generously sent us beautiful Riley Blake fabrics! Each member received 6 fat eighths of the "Basics" line. For members who did not attend the October meeting, we have a little extra fabric. Here are the guidelines:
(a) Please anything "quilted." Quilt, mug rug, runner, bag, etc. Your choice!
(b) Use some or all of the fabrics.
(c) Only add additional solids or more Riley Blake fabric.
(d) Please bring in your projects by the February meeting. You can keep your finished projects (we just need to take photos)!
4. Blocks of the Month: The upcoming Blocks of the Month are:
(a) November meeting: Kneesocks pattern by Oh, Fransson, in any colorway with white fabric. You can find the pattern HERE.
Please do not stress about making your seams or measurements perfect with this block. Just have fun! Also, the block measures 24", so you can just make 1/4 of a block for the Block of the Month (or make the 24" version for 4 chances to win!)
(b) December meeting: Free Piecing Block by Spoonflower. This is a fun, easy block. Please make it 12.5" unfinished, in white and colorful fabrics. You can find the pattern HERE.
5. Meeting topics:
(a) November meeting: hexagons and English paper piecing! Bring in your hexagon projects if you know how to paper piece, or learn about English paper piecing from our talented members!
(b) December meeting: Holiday sit n' sew! Bring some tasty snacks for the holidays and try English paper piecing! It will be a casual, fun meeting to end the year.
6. Free Motion Quilting: Patti gave an amazing talk about free motion quilting! For those who are interested in learning more about free motion quilting, check out Leah Day's site, which is chock full of amazing patterns and tips, HERE!
See you at our next meeting on Saturday, November 16th from 10am to 12pm at StitchCraft!