Our July BOM is appliqué circle blocks based on the demonstration that Shelly Recicar gave at our May meeting. This block actually combines Shelly's appliqué method with the strip piecing method demonstrated by Kate Yates in April.
Our colors for July are the "freshly picked" palette – don't forget you can buy a lovely fat quarter bundle in those colors from Stitchcraft, with a special SFMQG discount of 15%!
|Shelly's demo blocks.|
Shelly gave us a handout at the meeting with some written instructions for creating the appliqué circles block, but if you missed that meeting, or (like me!) misplaced your handout, here are the instructions for you!
- Make a 10 inch background using the strip method demonstrated by Kate in April. There is a step by step tutorial available on her blog.
- Cut a 10 inch piece of light grey fabric. Trace a dessert plate or any other circular object on the back of the fabric. You want the background fabric to show.
- If the circle is grey on your block,
- Cut a large ¼ inch outside of your drawn line on grey fabric
- Trace the plate on poster board or a food box such as cereal box. Cut the circle on the line.
- Prepare fabric, using this tutorial.
|Freshly Picked, our July palette.|
- Cut a large ¼ inch inside your line on the gray fabric. Clip from cut inside edge to seam line (¼ to ½ inch) . Do not cut through the seam line. Stop just short of the seam line.
- Trace the pattern on poster board or a food box. Cut the circle on the line. You will need the outside edge of the circle so go ahead and cut into the circle. You will not be using it.
- Prepare fabric using this tutorial.
Many thanks to Shelly and Kate for the demos and instructions.
Don't forget, the more blocks you make the more chances you have to win. Let's hope Jennifer gives the rest of us a chance this month! LOL. Can't wait to see your blocks at the meeting on the 18th July!