For those who didn't have a chance to attend, here is a quick recap:
- We welcomed everyone and recapped the concept of modern quilting and what it means to be part of the Modern Quilt Guild movement.
- We discussed examples of modern versus traditional quilts, including "Jelly Roll race" quilts.
- We discussed the goals of South Florida Mod: the education of quilters in modern quilting techniques, the creation of community through swaps, group challenges, members teaching members, sewing days, charity activities and possible group quilt shows.
- We discussed what we needed to do to reach our goals for South Florida Mod:
- We discussed advertising the guild and handed out fliers.
- We discussed the idea of a Guild sewing day, possibly in February.
- We discussed the possibility of a field trip to a quilt show in Fort Lauderdale, which will be held in March.
- We heard all about Project Linus and how we can help children in need by making small quilts for donation.
- We discussed a virtual quilting bee for the Guild.
- We talked about quilt news in the area:
- We handed out fliers for upcoming quilting events in the area.
- We had a "ten minute tutorial" from a member discussing mug rugs!
- We had a brief break while we explored the shop, ate some snacks and chatted. :)
- We had a great show and tell session, where members displayed their beautiful quilts and works in progress!
- We held a ninepatch swap.
- We decided on next month's swap and group quilt.
- We wrapped up the meeting by holding a raffle, of quilt books and various items!
|Learning about mug rugs.|
If anyone is interested in joining our Guild's virtual monthly quilting bee, we will be starting that up soon. Email us if you're interested in participating. Find out what a "virtual monthly quilting bee" is HERE (this was a sample for another guild)!
I will post the "things to bring" for January in another post soon. The next meeting is on Saturday, January 21st from 10am to 12pm!
PS: For those who are interested in Jelly Roll races, here is a video!