When we looked at other guilds, both traditional and modern, for inspiration, we found some guilds who were structured so that all members actively participated in guild projects by contributing to an Activity Council. This concept allows members to have a role in steering a part of the guild’s activities that interests them most, or in an area where they may have special skills to contribute.
|Planning our Blocks Of The Month lottery is one of the activities members can help with.|
- Block of the month lottery
- Choosing appropriate blocks, selecting fabric palettes, putting together fabric bundles, making sample blocks, writing tutorials and giving demos.
- Challenges & swaps
- Choosing projects and themes, creating samples, writing tutorials and giving demos, setting rules and deadlines.
- Community service
- Identifying charities for the guild to work with, selecting projects and leading them through to completion and delivery.
- Education & teaching
- Research, suggest and plan demonstrations and workshops, teaching or finding teachers, looking for community outreach possibilities (schools, libraries, festivals) for modern quilting skills.
- Special events
- Suggest and plan retreats, sewcials, mixers and other special events or meetings.
- Enrolling and renewing memberships, coordinate member sign-ins at meetings, promote the guild and looks for ways to increase our membership.
- Document the work of the guild by creating online resources like meetings archive, quilt archive, member gallery, and document archives.
- Organize meetings space, secure supplies required, prepare meetings spaces, coordinate refreshments.
- Suggest modern quilt projects to make together, coordinate demos, tutorials, instructions, prepare blog posts and emails for participants, lead discussions at meetings.
- Find any of the recent newsletters from SFMQG and locate the “Update your preferences” link at the bottom of the page. This will open up your registration details and allow you to make selections (it’s the last section of the page).
- Send an email to us, (or use the contact form to the right of this post) and an EC officer will get back to you!
- Talk to the EC in the Members Facebook Group.
VP of Administration